Winchester City Festival Choir was founded in 1923 as a result of concern that there was no choir to represent the city at the Winchester and County Music Festival. Its inaugural concert took place on 13 February 1923 and was conducted by Mr H.W. Stubbington. In 1940 the Choir performed in combination with East Hill Choir; the two choirs were formally amalgamated in 1942, using the name Winchester City and East Hill Festival Choir until 1948.
Since then the choir, now comprising about 56 singers, takes part in concerts twice a year. We give a concert at a local venue each January, and of course, continue to take part in the Hampshire Choral Fesival each May. Usually we also give a carol concert in mid-December and an informal ‘Summer Sing’, open to non-members, which meets between May and July.